The main purpose of Portraits of Dignity articles is to inspire the reader to understand that it is possible to grow old gracefully and very happily despite the many inevitable obstacles and high hurdles of aging. Elderly readers of these articles may find solace and encouragement from the experiences and lives of their peers. Younger readers may tap into the huge reservoirs of time-tested wisdom of the elderly augmenting their love, care and respect for them.
As such, the writer should bear in mind the following:
1. The story should be an illustration of a particular aspect of dignity. It should be true and factual. Therefore, real identities (such as names, age, profession) will need to be revealed.
2. Focus on aspects of dignity which the subject currently displays which may be an inspiration for others to believe that they too have inherent value and worth as human beings.
3. Although some background of the subject is necessary, the objective of the article is not to praise the subject (even though he/she may be very praise worthy) but is meant to be inspirational and helpful to others.
4. The tone of the article should be positive, heartening and encouraging, not negative.
5. Write about challenges or traumatic experiences in the subject’s life only in so far as to assist in the understanding how they were overcome and the lessons that one can take away.
6. Highlight one or two major milestones in subject’s life that were life-changing.
7. The following questions might be helpful to the writer:
A) Why are you writing about the subject. What do you think are the special traits of the subject that you admire / respect? E.g. compassion, generosity, tenacity of spirit, determination, courage, altruism, unconditional love… etc.
B) Were there any events which reflected such traits? And how so?
C) How do you think these experiences can help others?
D) What have you learned from the subject?
8. Keep the article to about 800 words. (If there is a need to exceed in order to express more accurately, feel free to proceed to write but do allow the Editor to ultimately, blue-pencil or amend).
Finally, please note that, where necessary, the Editor has the right to edit the article to suit the charitable objectives of the Mighty Oaks Foundation.
Thank you for your contribution and look forward to your article.